Ramsey County History magazine offers a wide variety of articles on the people, places and history of Ramsey County.
Volume 24, Number 1: 1989
Minnesota’ First Art School: St. Agatha’s Conservatory and the Pursuit of Excellence
Author: Sister Ann Thomasine Sampson
Five pieces by the same author tell the story of St. Agatha’s Conservatory. Cousins Mother Seraphine and Mother Celestine of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet were major figures. St. Agatha convent was a community of teachers at the Conservatory in downtown, which opened in 1884. The convent got no financial help from the Archdiocese of St. Paul; so it marketed classes. The Conservatory’s peak years were from mid-1880s to the late 1920s. The Sisters taught voice, piano, organ, instruments, music theory, painting, and drawing. The Great Depression ended the Conservatory’s prosperity and the later decline of downtown residency brought an end to the Conservatory in 1962.
PDF of Sampson article
Boats, Boaters and Boat Clubs—Slips Cost 10 Cents a Foot
Author: Thomas J. Kelley
Two short pieces in one, this article centers around Navy Island, the history of the Minnesota Yacht Club, and memories of the Minnesota Boat Club. The Yacht Club began in 1912 as the St. Paul Motor Boat Club. Its key function was to supply slips, but it was also a social club. Over time
the slips moved from Navy Island (now Raspberry Island) to the Holman Field area and finally to the harbor north of Harriet Island in 1962, where they now remain. In the 1930s attorney Thomas C. O’Brien, an early member, wrote his memories of balls, races, picnics, stunts, shinny games, and straw rides.
PDF of Kelley article