Ramsey County History Magazine: Volume 16-2 1981

Ramsey County History magazine offers a wide variety of articles on the people, places and history of Ramsey County.

Volume 16

Volume 16, Number 2: 1981

Beer Capital of the State—St Paul’s Historic Family Breweries
Author: Gary J. Brueggemann
St. Paul had the largest German population in the state and by 1887 contained twelve operating breweries. St. Paul had barley and hops-growing regions nearby, plenty of good water, and cool caves for aging. The first brewery was Yoerg’s, established in 1848, and it was run by the family for a century. Three years later, Martin Bruggeman, a Prussian, started his St. Paul brewery not far from Seven Corners in 1872. Bruggeman died in 1897 and the company folded. There were many other breweries, some operating for many years, others that were ephemeral.

Christopher Stahlmann’s Cave Brewery began operations on Fort Road in 1855 and by the late 1870s was the largest brewery in the state. North Star Brewery was founded by non-Germans Drewery and Scotten on Dayton’s Bluff in 1855. Andrew Keller, a German, opened a brewery at Swede Hollow in 1860 and sold it in 1864 to Theodore Hamm, who successfully transformed it into one of the largest in the country. The Hamm family ran the business until 1975.
PDF of Brueggmann article

Montgomery Schuyler Takes on ‘The West’
Author: Patricia Murphy
In 1891, architecture critic Montgomery Schuyler wrote an article in Harper’s Magazine entitled “Glimpses of Western Architecture: St. Paul and Minneapolis.” It looked at nine buildings in St. Paul: the Ryan Hotel, the Dayton Avenue Presbyterian Church, the Pioneer Building, the Courthouse, the People’s Church, the Endicott Building, the Bank of Minnesota, the Chamber of Commerce Building, and the New York Life Insurance Building. Schuyler wrote, “There is nothing to be compared with the massing of the handsome houses of St. Paul upon the ridge above the river.” He wrote about the rivalry between the Twin Cities, and concluded that a “national architecture” might soon emerge.
PDF of Murphy article

1910s ‘One-Horse’ Gladstone Recalled
Author: Lucile Arnold
A memoir of the vanished hamlet of Gladstone, along Frost Avenue in today’s Maplewood. The writer recalls its two-room schoolhouse with its bell tower and spiral fire escape, swimming in Gladstone Lake, childhood games, the frequent railroad traffic and streetcar service, Mrs. Selover’s Sunday School, and more.

PDF of Arnold article

PDF of Board of Directors