Ramsey County History Magazine: Volume 7-1 Spring 1970

Ramsey County History magazine offers a wide variety of articles on the people, places and history of Ramsey County.

Volume 7

Volume 7, Number 1: Spring 1970

St. Anthony Park: The History Of A Small Town Within A City
Author: Fredric Steinhauser
A history of the development of this St. Paul neighborhood. Gov. William Marshall and landscape architect Horace Cleveland played key roles in its early development, as did investors from Wisconsin and Virginia, the University of Minnesota, and the Great Northern Railroad. Cleveland was responsible for the street layouts that conform to the natural contours of the land. The area originally had two parts, north and south, divided by railroad tracks, but now only the north part is thought of as St. Anthony Park. Settlement in earnest began in the mid-1880s, and soon institutions grew: Murray, Breck, and Gutterson Schools, the Children’s Home Society, Luther (originally United Church) Seminary, the public library, and the St. Anthony Park Association. The article includes a section on the area’s geological history.
PDF of Steinhauser article

To Stillwater, Hastings, White Bear Lake—
St. Paul’s Yellow Trolleys Rocked, Rumbled Through a Colorful Era
Author: Virginia Brainard Kunz
A summary history of street railway service in St. Paul, from 1872 to 1953.
PDF of Kunz article
PDF of Trolley photo essay

Murder Most Foul! Early “Historian” Solves Mystery of Whatever Happened to “Pigs Eye” Parrant
Author: Edward J. Lettermann
In 1868 New York writer, publisher, and fabulist “Col.” Hankins published a history of St. Paul entitled Dakota Land; or, The Beauty of St. Paul, “an altogether charming conglomeration of local history, fact and fancy, dreams and revelations, [and] exquisite word pictures of the area.” Among the fancies was Hankins’s description of the finding of Parrant’s grave, along with a pistol engraved with his name. Despite the inventions, the book “has value to the historian … in its contemporary descriptions of the city and of Minnesota during the 1860’s.”
PDF of Lettermann article

Forgotten Pioneers: John R. Irvine
John R. Irvine (1812–1878) came first to St. Paul in 1843 from Prairie du Chien with a sleigh full of groceries to “look over the field which had been represented to him by his old friend, Henry Jackson, as the Eldorado of the Northwest.” He liked what he saw. He bought what had been Edward Phelan’s claim and, over time, bought and sold many parcels of real estate. He also ran a ferry and a saw mill and served on the city council. Irvine Park is named for him.
PDF of Forgotten Pioneers

PDF of Board of Directors